First of all wishing all my dear friends a happy and prosperous new year. Today i decided to make sponge cake when i saw there were no eggs in the kitchen. When i was about to step out to buy them my mom who is a great cook and been a inspiration for me to cook gave me a advice which i will never forget all my life.. She told... Always try to cook with the ingredients available in the house. There is no need to step out to a grocery store every time u decide to cook something. And she shared this recipe with me and as usual i added a bit of my touch to it. :-)
- 100 gms of unsalted butter
- 250gms sugar made into powder
- few drops of vanilla essence
- 3-4 teaspoons of instant coffee powder ml
- 200 ml of milk
- 250 gms of flour
- a small teaspoon of baking soda
- soda bicarbonate( optional)
- cashew nuts (optional)
- bournvita/drinking chocolate powder (optional) one spoon
- Firstly ensure that the butter is softened to that sugar can be mixed into properly without any lumps and the mixture is fluffy.
- Now sieve together flour , baking soda and coffee powder and also a bit of bournvita. This is adding of coffee and bournvita is optional. I added it to enhance the flavour.
- Now add this sieve mixture to the butter and sugar mix and whisk together alternatively adding milk to it. Add a few drops of vanilla essence to this mixture.It should be added in three steps and not in one go. After it is properly whisked it should of a consistency that can be poured into the baking tray or bowl. At this stage add the powdered cashew nuts.
- Now line the tray you want to bake with butter and dust it with flour and pour the mixture into the tray. Ensure that the tray is not filled to brim. Just fill it 3/4 of the bowl
- Bake for about 9-10 mins in a microwave for micro and convection mode and check after 9-10 mins by inserting a pin into it and see if it comes out clean.
- Remove it and let it cool for 20 mins and then remove it on a plate by inverting the bowl on a plate. Cut into desirable pieces.