This is my favorite pickle and a must have with my curd rice. Initially i used to purchase it from a local pickle vendor thinking it would be a tedious task to make pickles but then i got this recipe from my moms friend and i gave it a try. Here's the recipe for all pickle lovers....
Ingredients required :-
- 10 lemons cut into quarters and seeds removed
- 1 - 2 tspn of salt
- 1-2 tspn of turmeric powder
- 2 cups of sugar
- water ( just enough to soak the sugar)
- 2 tspn of Red chilly powder
- 1/2 tspn of hing.
- 2 tspn fennel seed, roasted jeera seeds and kalonji seeds( mixed)
- half cup of oil.
Things to remember:-
- Most important thing to remember while making pickle is that vessel in which cut lemons are being kept should be clean and dry.
- Also use lemons which has thin skin.
Procedure to make:-
- Place the cut lemons in a mixing bowl and add salt and turmeric and mix well.
- Transfer to a air-tight bottle and keep in like that for almost a month. Keep shaking it on alternate days or you can place the bottle in sunlight also for 15-20 days.
- After 30 days it will become soft and mushy.
- Now in a pan add sugar and to this add water just enough to soak sugar.
- Place on a low flame and keep stiring. The sugar syrup should be of many string consistency.
- Remove from flame and add the lemons.
- Now add red chilly powder.
- Finally heat oil and temper it with fennel,cumin and kalonji seeds and hing.
- Add this to the sugar-lemon mix.
- Mix well and tranfer to air tight jar preferably a glass bottle.
- Store for almost a week and eat.