This is a traditional from Himachal Pradesh recipe and can be considered a Satvic ahaar because it contains no onions,ginger or garlic.This is a novel way of eating spinach other than the normal palak paneer.
This recipe has two parts.. one is making the split urad dal ki wadi.. i.e split black lentil dumplings and other is making spinach gravy...
To make the dumplings..
- 250 grams of split urad dal soaked in water for 4-5 hrs
- 1-2 tspn of salt
- 1-2 tspn of red chilly powder
- 1-2 tspn of roasted cumin ( jeera) powder
- Refined oil for frying
To make the spinach (palak) gravy:-
- 2 bunch of palak leaves washed
- 2-4 tspn of refined oil
- Half cup of curd (dahi)
- 2 -3 tspn of cumin seeds ( jeera)
- 2 tspn of red chilly powder
- 2 tspn of turmeric powder
- half tspn of asfoetida ( hing)
- Salt to taste
Procedure to make :--
To make the dumplings :-
- Wash the soaked lentils and put in a mixie along with salt,chilly powder,cumin powder and grind into a course paste.
- Grease a vessel or small plate and spread this mixture evenly on it.
- Now steam it for 15-20 mins on a medium flame.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool before removing and cutting as per desired size.
- Now heat refined oil in a pan and fry these vadis till golden brown.
- Keep aside.
To make the spinach Gravy :-
- Wash the spinach leaves throughly and place in a vessel full of boil water and let
- Now immediately remove the spinach leaves and place in a bowl full of cold water.** this is called refreshing or blanching**.. this helps in retaining the fresh green color of spinach.
- Make it into a paste.
- Heat refined oil in a kadai and add the jeera seeds and hing.
- After jeera seeds splutter add spinach puree and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add curd to it. " this will prevent curd from splitting"
- Now add salt as per taste and red chilly powder.
- Finally add the vadis and turn off heat.*** Never boil after adding the vadis***