Bedmi Puri is one of the popular street food served in Delhi,Agra and most of northern India and is a classic Indian dish.Stuffed with Urad dal its even called Bedmi kachori and makes a good filling breakfast.
Ingredients required for making the dough:-
- 2 cups of Wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of semolina (suji)
- 2 tspn of oil
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tspn of turmeric( this was my addition to the dish)
- Water to knead the dough
To make the dough:-
- In a bowl add combine all the ingredients expect water and oil.
- Some people even add baking soda but i prefer not to use it.
- Now warm the oil and add it to the mixture and rub it into the dough.
- Add the sufficient amount of water and knead into a dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 mins before rolling into puris.
Ingredient to make the stuffing:-
- 50 grams of Urad dal.
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 tspn of Red chilly powder
- 1 tspn of Cumin powder ( jeera powder)
- 1 tspn of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying the puris
To make the Stuffing:-
- Soak the urad dal in water for 4-5 hours.
- After 4-5 hours wash it properly and put in a blender along with other ingredients mentioned above expect oil.
- Coarsely grind it.
- Heat 3-4 tspn of oil in a Saucepan and to it add the coarsely ground dal mixture.
- Cook well. Keep stirring continuously and make sure that it does not stick to the base.
- Keep aside and let it cool.
To Assemble the dish :-
- Divide the Urad dal mixture into a small balls and stuff it into the dough.
- Roll out into puris and Fry in hot oil.