Kadhi or Karhi is a North Indian dish,which is a spicy dish which has a thick gravy based on Gram flour (besan). and Yogurt.
There are different types /variations of Kadhi in different parts of India, In Gujarat kadhi is very thick and is flavored with ginger-green chillies and coriander and has a sweet flavour. Its made with Gram flour(besan) and Buttermilk and often eaten with Khicdi. The UP, Rajasthani and Punjabi variation consists of pakodas and is bit spicy and sour. Its made with Yogurt and Gram flour to give it thick consistency. Then there is Sindhi Kadhi variation is by roasting the Gram flour and adding vegetables to the Gram flour gravy and instead of sour yogurt tamarind pulp to give it a sour taste.
The recipe given in this post is of Punjabi Kadhi. Because it contains Pakodas it can even be eaten with Rotis and Naans.
Ingredients Required for the Pakodas:-
- 1 bunch of methi (fenugreek leaves) finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 cup of Gram flour (besan)
- a pinch of baking soda
- a pinch of Ajwain seeds (carram)
- 1 tspn of cumin powder
- 1 tspn of Red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- Water to form batter
- Oil for frying
Procedure to make the Pakodas:-
- Mix all the ingredients together expect oil and form a batter.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the pakodas till golden brown.
- Remove and keep aside.
Ingredients Required for making the Kadhi:-
- 5-6 tspn of Gram flour
- 2 cup of thick Yogurt
- 1 medium sized onion sliced (optional)
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated or finely chopped
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 2 Whole red chillies (broken into two)
- 2 tspn of turmeric powder
- 2 tspn of Red chilly powder
- 1 tspn of Cumin seeds
- 1 tspn of Mustard seeds
- 1 tspn of fenugreek seeds
- 1 tspn of hing
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups of Water
- 2 -3 tspn of refined oil
Procedure to make the Kadhi:-
- Whisk together Gram flour and Yogurt with 2 cups of water,turmeric,red chilly powder to form a smooth mixture without any lumps.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and to it add Cumin seeds,Mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,Whole Red chilly, Hing and Peppercorns.
- When mustard starts spluttering add grated ginger and onions and fry for sometime.
- Turn off the heat and add the whisked yogurt mixture and stir well.
- Turn on the heat and add salt as per taste and bring to a boil.
- Add the Pakodas and mix well.
- Turn off the heat. Don boil after adding the pakodas.
Note:- You can adjust Red chilly powder as per taste.