Earlier in my post of Kolhapuri Misal i shared recipe of making Green Moong dal Usal the recipe of which you find here. This time i made Kaale chaane ka usal. There was a bowl of sprouted kala chana in my fridge so i used it to make it healthy no onion-no garlic usal which can be eaten on its own as a snack or as a side dish with Phulkas or Rice. You can even top it with tomatoes,onions and chiwda and serve as filling breakfast.
- 2 cups of Sprouted kala chana
- 3 tspn of refined oil
- 2 inch piece of ginger finely chopped or grated
- 2 whole red chilly broken
- a generous pinch of hing
- 1 tspn of Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tspn of Mustard seeds ( Rai)
- 1 tspn of Turmeric powder
- 1 tspn of fennel seeds ( saunf)
- 1 tspn of red chilly powder
- 1 tspn of dhania powder
- Juice of half a lime or 1 tspn amchoor powder or 1tspn tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
Procedure to make:-
- Wash the sprouted Kala chana and boil for 5 mins in water.
- Drain the water, and keep aside.
- In a saucepan,heat some oil and add Cumin,Mustard, fennel seeds,turmeric powder,broken whole red chilly and hing.
- After the mustard crackles add the washed and boiled kala chana and saute well.
- Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Now add red chilly powder,dhania powder.
- Sprinkle a little water if necessary to prevent the masala from burning.
- Add salt as per taste and toss everything together.
- Turn off the heat and before serving add juice of lime.
If you are adding amchoor/tamarind pulp then add it along with dhania powder.