Kachori or Kachauri or Kachodi or Katchuri is a spicy snack popular in various parts of India including Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Bengal and Orissa.It is a popular snack food in Karachi, Pakistan.
In Uttar Pradesh or Rajasthan, it is usually a round flattened ball made of fine flour filled with a stuffing of baked mixture of yellow moong dal or Urad Dal , besan , black pepper, red chili powder, salt and other spices and is called Khasta Kachori.
A variant includes sweet upwas (fast) kachori, made with potato, coconut, and sugar. Kachoris are often served with a chutney, often made from tamarind, mint, or coriander. Another variant is fried and stuffed with pulses (urad and moong especially) and it is generally found in Kutch region in Gujarat. In Delhi it is often served as a chaat. Also Delhi has another kind of kachori, called 'Khasta kachori' or 'Raj Kachori'.Some of the variants popular in North India includes a version similar to the Rajasthan version accompanied with a curry made of potatoes and varied spices or even chana (chole), similar to one served in chole bhature.
For making the dough,
For making the dough,
- 2 cups of All purpose Flour ( Maida)
- 2 tspn of warm refined oil or ghee
- 1 tspn of salt
- Water to knead the dough
For making the filling,
- 1 cup of yellow split moong dal ( soaked for 4 hrs,washed till water runs clear)
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 tspn of roasted besan( Gram flour)
- 1 tspn of Cumin seeds
- 1 tspn of fennel seeds
- 1 tspn of Red chilly powder
- 1 tspn of Chaat masala
- 1 tspn of amchoor powder
- 3 tspn of refined oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
Procedure to make the dough:-
- In a mixing bowl first add the maida,salt and warm refined oil or ghee and rub everything together.
- Gradually add required amount of water and knead into a dough.
- Cover with a damp muslin cloth and let rest for 30 mins.
Procedure to make the filling:-
- Heat 3 tspn of refined oil in a non-stick pan and add cumin,fennel seeds and grated ginger.
- Fry for 2 mins and add soaked moong dal and saute well for 10 mins.
- Now add the roasted gram flour,chaat masala,amchoor powder,red chilly powder and mix well.
- Add a 2-3 tspn of water if necessary.
- Finally add salt as per taste and let it cool before stuffing in kachoris.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls and stuff with the above made filling.
- When oil is heated deep fry on a low flame till crisp and brown on both sides.