Sattu is the most popular food of Bihar and is used in Bihari cuisine. Variety of dishes can be used Sattu flour like Liti choka, Sattu ki Kachori and Sattu ke laddoo. Sattu ka atta is not available in Belgaum, the place where i stay so i asked a friends mom who told this atta can be made at home itself by buying the roasted Kala chana which is sold roadside and roasting it again for 5-10 mins and grinding it in mixie and using it to make any dish as per choice. I tried making Sattu ka Paratha and it was a successful dish.
firstly i will share the steps involved in making Sattu ka atta:
1) Take the roasted kala chana( brown skinned chickpea) and roast it again for 5-10 mins.
2) Let it cool and then grind it. If grinding it to make Parathas or puris then add 1 tspn of roasted Cumin seeds, Carram seeds,Red chilly powder,amchoor powder and Salt and grind into a powder. Don add the masalas if you are grind kala chana to make laddoos.
Ingredients required to make Sattu Parathas:- 1) for the stuffing
- 1 cup of Sattu
- 1 tspn of grated ginger
- 1 tspn finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tspn of sugar
- Wheat flour dough
- Oil as required to fry the parathas
Procedure to make:-
- If you are using store brought sattu add salt,red chilly powder,cumin powder and roasted ajwain seeds.
- Now to this add grated ginger,finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Take a lump of the wheat flour dough and stuff it with the sattu.
- Seal and roll into parathas of desired size and shape.
- Place on a hot girdle and roast till golden brown on both sides.
Serve hot with Kaddu-Meethi Ki dosti.
This is another excellent recipe for Picnic lunchbox. Just make sure not to make it crispy if packing for Lunchbox.
Another important thing to remember while packing Parathas or any dish for lunchbox is to let it cool completely before packing in so that it does not spoil..